Skip to content Skip to footer

HISTORY

Academic Ananie Yavashov initiated the first in-depth professional study and collection of historical artifacts and records in Razgrad. He was a man of encyclopaedic knowledge, distinguished botanist, researcher, historian, amateur archaeologist, educator, museum activist, interpreter and also a public figure. In 1887 he carried out the first archaeological excavations in the western parts of the Hisarlaka fortress “Abritus”. The research of the region around Razgrad and the excavations in Hisarlaka continued through to 1893, 1922 and 1928. What was uncovered in the beginning were the foundations of two Christian churches, stone inscriptions in ancient Greek and Latin, as well as household objects. Over the years the collection was constantly growing with numerous finds. In the 1920’s the movable archaeological monuments, collected by Ananie Yavashov, reached about 2,000 pieces and were arranged in a museum collection. On the 19th March 1922 he convened a General meeting, which established the Razgrad Archaeological Society. Their main goal was “to find, store and study the antiquities in Razgrad and the district and intrigue the locals by it”. In 1930 Yavashov published a book called “Razgrad, its archaeological and historical past.” The read systemized, summarized and richly illustrated the collected cultural artifacts, the discovered legends, traditions and ethnographic descriptions.

The contemporary Regional Museum of History – Razgrad is a successor of the archaeological museum, established on a public basis. The museum today is a cultural and scientific institute. Its structure includes the following museums: “Abritus” Archaeological Reserve, which has a permanent archaeological exhibition, Interactive Museum, Ethnographic Museum “Traditional non-material culture of the Kapantsi” and the house museums of “Stanka and Nikola Ikonomov”, “Ananie Yavashov” and “Dimitar Nenov”.

Regional History Museum – Razgrad has a rich archive and handles and promotes more than 70,000 movable cultural riches of scientific and high artistic merit. Among them is the world-famous Golden Pegasus, dated from the middle of the 4th century BC, as well as the country’s largest treasure of gold coins, dated from the 5th century. Part of the artifacts is exhibited in permanent and temporary exhibitions on an area of 400 square meters.

MISSION AND GOAL

The main activity of Razgrad’s Regional History Museum is preserving and presenting its historical and cultural heritage, using classical exhibitions, modern technologies and tools, educational programs, culture events and scientific conferences. The museum is a main factor for the development of the region’s cultural tourism. It keeps the memory of the past and a vision for the future.

MANAGEMENT AND DEPARTMENTS

Director
Tanya Petrova Todorova ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901430)

Deputy-Director
Daniela Todorova Gancheva ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901436)

„Administrative” Department
Rositsa Tsoneva Slavova ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901431)

Accounting
Accountant: Dimitar Nikolov Dimitrov ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901433)

„Archaeology” Department
Curator and numismatist: Georgi Georgiev Dzanev ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901408)
Curator: Dilen Veselinov Dilov ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901435)

Restoration specialist
Stoyanka Kuleva Savova ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901466)

“Ethnography” Department
Ethnographer: Daniela Todorova Gancheva

„History of the Bulgarian lands XV – XIX century” and Scientific archive. Department

„Modern history” Department
Chief Curator: Nelly Mladenova Nikolova ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901437)

„Contemporary history” Department
Curator: Dr. Dimitar Ivanov Petkov ( tel./ GSM: +359 878906144)

MUSEUMS

“Ananie Yavashov” House Museum
Address: 20 “Venelin” Str.
Curator: Victor Penkov Kostadinov ( tel./ GSM: +359 878901434)

“Stanka and Nikola Ikonomov” House Museum
Address: 7 “St. Kliment” Str.
Tour guide: Adriyan Nikolaev Hristov
( тел./ GSM: +359 887529154)

Ethnographic Museum
Address: 13 „Georgi Sava Rakovski” Str.

“Abritus” Museum
Address: 70 “Aprilsko vastanie” blvd.
( tel./ GSM: +359 878901439)

Ticket center
( tel./ GSM: +359 878901439)

OPENING HOURS

70 „Aprilsko vastanie“ Blvd.

from 1 April to 30 October: 9:30 – 18:00 pm. every day
from 1 November to 31 March: 9:00 – 17:00 pm., Saturday and Sunday – by prior request
(Applications can be submitted from Monday to Thursday)

Telephone for requests: +359 878 901439
E-mail: pegas_rz@abv.bg

70 „Aprilsko vastanie“ Blvd.

from 1 April to 30 October: 9:30 – 18:00 pm. every day
from 1 November to 31 March: 9:00 – 17:00 pm., Saturday and Sunday – by prior request

Telephone for requests: +359 878 901431
E-mail: pegas_rz@abv.bg

20 „Venelin“ Str.

8:30 – 17:00 pm. (from 12:00 pm. to 12,30 pm. – lunch break)
Saturday and Sunday – by prior request: +359 878 901431
E-mail: pegas_rz@abv.bg

7 “St. Kliment” Str.

8:30 – 17:00 pm. (from 12:00 pm. to 12,30pm. – lunch break)
Saturday and Sunday – by prior request: +359 878 901431
E-mail: pegas_rz@abv.bg

13 „Georgi S. Rakovski” Str.

8:30 – 17:00 pm. (from 12:00 pm. to 12,30pm. – lunch break)
Saturday and Sunday – by prior request: +359 878 901431
E-mail: pegas_rz@abv.bg

20 “Antim 1st“ Str.

CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC

E-mail: pegas_rz@abv.bg